You are here

Absent Bio Dad wanting back in

linecon0's picture

My wife has had a bumpy ride with men.

Her first guy left her preganant at the altar.  

Her next guy (Absent Bio Dad), she had two kids with.  One of the kids drowned and right after that event, ABD (Absent Bio Dad) cheated on her and left her for another woman whom he ended up marrying...more on this in a bit.  This was like 6 years ago

She remarried and turns out this guy lied to her about his extensive criminal past (multipfle felonies, drugs, multiple prison terms) AND ended up robbing three banks while on crack. This was like 3 years ago.

We have been together for 2 years and just married.  I have two sons (14 and 9) and she has a son (19) and a daughter (14).

So when ABD left them after the little boy drowned and married his mistress, he has not spoken to his kids since (this was 6 years ago).  Turns out, he is getting divorced from the mistress and all of a sudden wants back in the kids lives.  He has started sending emails to my wife (hinting at wanting to get back together with her) and has only mentioned the kids like this, "I miss my family"

My wife shut down the "him wanting her back" thing by sending him a pretty clear email saying she wasn't interested in that.  My steppdaughter is going to see her grandfather (ABD's dad) and this grandfather, as I suspected, is trying to tell her things like "give you dad another chance", "he misses you", etc.  My wife said SD is old enough to make her own decisions about her dad.  I just think it sucks that this a-hole leaves them after the drowning of his son for another woman and hasn't spoken to them since and he thinks he can just pick back up where he left off.  

I know I should stay out of it but it pisses me off.  I have spent the past two years helping my SD regain her footing and showing her not all men are assholes.  Our relationship has gotten really good and along comes ABD to screw things up again.

I'm at a loss at what to do.  I did tell my wife that if things go south with ABD, I may need to speak to him.  

Also, the criminal guy is up for parole soon.  I'm hoping he doesn't try to reconnect with my wife or the kids.  To me, it is totally unncessary.  He's not related to the kids, he was only married to my wife for 9 months before getting arrested, and he is a habitual felon/drug addict.  I will not tolerate any communication from anybody in my house with that a-hole.

Survivingstephell's picture

The ABD will show his true colors soon enough and really all you need to do is be the stand up guy you already are.  Wife already put some boundaries in place, hopefully she can continue to do so when needed in the face of anything that might happen with ABD.  

SD is going to have to figure out her father on her own, bailing after the death of her brother can't be to far from her mind and she is strong enough to hold his feet to fire for it.  

Thumper's picture

It is not uncommon for married couples to loose it and fall apart following a childs death. Happens often to the best of people. It happened in my family. There is NOTHING worse than loosing a child.

So the demise of that marriage is NOT just the exhusbands. She did have part in it too.

Sir I bet your a nice guy. BUT please do not be soooo quick to label bio dad "absent" until you hear his side of the story. Men don't think like women do. Men are savers---just like you. When they hear a "story", many men will swoop in to try to fix it, save the poor 'single mom" blah blah blah. WHEN they have many years under their belt say after 50...they finally wake UP and see "single moms" for what they really are. Sorry with age does some wisdom.

Far too many men are given the title of absentee in courts theses days. Often times that title is given by the mom who is pissed off dad found someone new  AND who has made it impossible for the dad to see his kids. That is the reality of  basket of junk in Family Court. Many dads DO walk away not because they dont love their kid.

Never stand in the way of a child's inheriant bond between mom OR dad. 

PLEASE look at pattern of you getting sucked into what YOUR wife has created. TAKE care of your bio kids first. LET GO OF your wifes junk.

Sounds like she decided on some humdingers to put her shoes under the bed with. SHE didnt know about jail birds past....lolololol thats funny. Then she didnt take the necessay time TO really find out before she hooked up. Lot of people out there just like her...they care but not really. Must have been a benifit to her not realllly know about that guy.

Step back a lot and nod, smile and let them figure it out. These are not your problems to worry about. FYI very freeing to figure that out.

best wishes. Remember YOUR KIDS NEEDS, emotionally, physically present for them MUST come before this mess your wife started.

YES I am blunt...

linecon0's picture

Goodluck....With all due respect, I label ABD as an absentee father because he has not contacted his kids in 6 years.  I'm not sure what definition you would use to define absentee but that is pretty close.  I have zero respect for that asshole.  He took off with his mistress, moved to another state, and checked out completelty for 6 years-half of SD's life, when his kids needed him most after losing their brother.  He made a choice every day for 6 years to NOT check on his kids.  Every day.  And just because his mistress is divorcing him, he is all alone and thinks he can upheave his kids and ex-wife's life...

ABD's title was not given by anybody....he earned it himself by his actions.

Thumper's picture

Was he paying child support or has bio dad never paid child support and refused to appear for custody hearing ? what was dad like prior to the demise of his marriage. Was dad inside the home during the marriage giving baths, feeding the kids? Did he change diapers, dress the kids...provide for the kids?

What was your wife like during the divorce? Did she bridge the relationship between non custodial and the kids? Did she harbor feelings about dad "YOU bastard, I will show you...you left me now you wont see your kids"....OR did she tell you----I TRIED to make sure the kids were in his life,,,but ...he woulddddnttttt see the chilllldreeeeennnnn.

You have been with her for 2 years. In all fairness 4 years you were not present of the 6 you speak of. 

I totally understand your angry at me. I totally understand your defense of your wife. 

I just ask that you hear the entire story and that means dads side too.  Anything less than that to form an opinion IS not only unfair but irresponsible of you since you are in his kids lives.

Calling his wife "HIS mistress" is rude. It is his wife. Why are you harboring ill fillings for this woman ? Odd coming from a man. 

I sincerly wish you the very best. Take it from someone who has been in this for all but 20 years----make the time to get both sides. The truth may surprise you.

linecon0's picture

He pays child support

He was never a "checked-in" father...my understanding is he didn't do a lot with the kids

After their divorce, my wife asked him to spend time with the kids but he chose to spend more time with the woman he cheated with.  He eventually even stopped coming to get them altogehter and then moved to another state and married the woman he cheated with.

She never said bad things about the bio dad (her kids confirm this).  The kids know he cheated on their mom though (he told them).

This guy is not a good guy.  He is not some victim or the target of a smear campagin.  He is a guy who was never dialed into his kids, who lost a child and when his family needed him most, he chose to be selfish and have an affair (likely more than one) and then left his family for another woman, moved to another state, and has not even as much sent the kids a text on their birthday (zero communication) for 6 years.  

The only reason he is even sniffing around now is because his new wife is leaving him and he has nobody and wants to pick up where he left off.  His only motivation is for himself, not for his kids.  He needs them to make him feel better.  He woke up every single day for 6 years and chose to not send his kids a text, or a phone call, or even a postcard from Florida where he moved to.  

That is not the type of man I have any respect for at all.  That is not the type of man that can be a good influence on a kid.  

I know these kids aren't mine but it is my house and I have to deal with the fallout of bio-dad's actions so it does have something to do with me.  Also, he is passively-aggressively trying to get together with my wife by sending her emails like "I miss my family" and "I was looking through some old pictures and I miss you", etc. though my wife hopefully shut that down.

The ONLY reason he is doing this is because his wife left him.  Where was he when his kids needed him after losing their brother?  Where was he when his wife needed him?   Well, he was out having sex with other women.  He made that choice and the choice everyday to ignore his kids for 6 years.  

These are facts.  

still learning's picture

I get the anger and have similar issues with exH not communicating with his kids for 8 months because he's too busy and then all of a sudden wanting bs16 for 2 weeks in the summer.  I wish he'd either have regular communication with bs or none at all. This is something I can't control though, bs and his father have their own dynamic that I don't want to be in the middle of.  

Instead of fighting for his family during a time of grief when they needed him, he chose to have an affair and run away so as not to have to face the pain. It's sad and so unfair when a child dies.  He screwed up, he knows it and wants his family back yet they moved on when he ran off. 

I commend you for being protective of your wife and SD, remember that this is SD's father and she may have unfinished business with him.  

Tet1982's picture

I understand your concern. Minus the fact that he cheated I would be more concerned about his criminal background. I don’t know if I was this child’s mother that I would allow my child to see him. Probably not. Sorry your going through this. Stay strong!

linecon0's picture

Clarification:  There are two men.  One is the ABD, the other, the criminal, isn't anybody's dad and was out of the picture in a year or two after he got arrested for robbing banks.

mommadukes2015's picture

Take it from someone who has been where your SD14 is right now-be supportive, be positive, listen without speaking and just be there for her as she goes through this.

Your wife is right, she IS old enough and this IS her choice to make, if not now, in the future or ever. 

But please know this-whether she and her father pick up where they left off and everything is peachy keen between them-it will NEVER undo or lessen the love and relationship she has with you. 

My dad recently rendered my life after about 10 years of estrangement-after he cheated and out the final nail in my parents’ 17 year marriage. I met my step father when I was 14. He was the only person who respected my space and put me first-and that includes my mother who at the time (and quite frankly can still be) very self-centered. 

When I started having a relationship with my bio father again, my SF felt some type of way. Now, we’ll into my twenties and a step parent myself I know that I have to make the extra effort to let him know he’s always #1 in my book. 

On chrismas I wrote him a card, telling him the reason I can be as good of a step-parent to my two skids is because of him. Her literally showed me how. He’s a big burly country bumpkin so to see him cry over that card, meant I struck the chords I wanted to strike and I remind him as often as I can that my developing relationship with my bio will never hold a candle to our relationship that he had no obligation to. 

You sound like a really good man. Don’t let this bother you. 

linecon0's picture

Thank you so much for this post, especially since you were the stepkid yourself.  I just don't want my SD to be burned, again, by a man as she has been let down by every man in her life.

Lndsy747's picture

I agree with a lot of the previous posters that you need to give SD the chance to make a decision herself. Also be positive about the situation and take some time to check the guy out for yourself. You weren't there and only know one side of the story.

I'm sure every man that has dated my SDs BM has felt the same way about my SO regarding him being absent and needing to step up for her but I'm reality he she makes a relationship impossible. 

I will also say that it's hard bring a step parent because we often don't get the thanks we deserve even with we're doing more than the bioparent. 

Areyou's picture

I would protect the children and the wife from him. He’s bad news. Call the cops if he bothers you again.

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

I would approach this with hesitency as well. On one side, you aren't her bio... On the other, there's a different between bieng a bio and being a father. Unpopular opinion. But you have been acting dad in the bio's abscence. Being a parent is more than a title or genetics, it's also putting what you can into it, and you have. I know you want to protect your daughter.

I don't actually think 14 is old enough to make all her decisions. I do think she can make the choice on if she wants to start seeing him again, but based on the cirumstances, I might start out small and see how that goes before progressing earlier. Ask your SD how she would feel comfortable approaching this (if she chooses to see him). As parents your wife (and you) do have a responsibility to protect SD. You just also don't want her missing out on that relationship if it's genuinely possible right now. Approach with caution, be aware, but I wouldn't block it.