You are here

Just as I expected!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

It is nearly 3 pm here...and not a call or text from HHB for Father's Day! DH and MIL were talking about HHB again this morning, and DH was talking about HHB ignoring his calls and texts again lately. He was saying, "I'm tired of begging!" Then, don't freakin' beg!!! DH shouldn't have to beg for his own daughter to return texts and calls, especially when we are the ones paying for the phone! I looked at HHB's phone records today to see if she was even awake, and she has been up for 2 hours now. DH tried to call her earlier...ignored. But HHB has been non-stop texting what appears to be a new boyfriend since she got up! Yes, I called the number on Friday, and it's a guy. I flipped through the days on the records, and I swear it looks like she has been sneaking out to see him (i.e. Patterns I've seen before...call to or from the guy's number lasting less than a minute some time around 1 am, and then nothing until a text to the guy's number around 3-4 am, as if to say "I'm good...made it in the house"). But no time at all for dad.

Seems to me time to cut off the phone! I know DH would never go for it, but I want so bad to cut her phone off!

Raggles's picture

I would cut the phone off immediately.
How rude, what gives the skids the right to ignore their parents especially if they are paying for phone.
If they cant answer a text or a phone call then they dont need the phone.
SO has similar problem with sd17 though she has been better since the threat of turning of phone was given .

I agree completely the phone should be shut off! DH has told her in the past that if HHB didn't start responding to him, her phone would be cut off! She called back immediately when he left that message. That was a couple of months ago. Seems time to follow through with the threat!

DH called HHB again while we were driving to the store, and she surprisingly answered. It took every power of my being to keep my mouth shut!

DH: Were you going to call me at all today?

HHB: Yeah, I got busy. We are at my uncle's for some Father's Day thing.

*cough* bullsh*t! I've seen your phone records! You haven't been too busy to be texting with that guy all freakin' day!

Then, the conversation turned to color guard, with DH asking if HHB was going to do it next school year or not. "I haven't decided." DH goes on to tell her he thinks she should do color guard, while I'm sitting there looking away out the window rolling my eyes and thinking, "Seriously...girl needs to concentrate on her cores...not extra-curricular!"

I found myself cringing the whole call hearing THAT whiny voice (DH had the call on speaker)! I was so happy when the call ended. I didn't comment about HHB at all! Instead, I look at DH and say, "Oh, BS20 is think about changing his degree to full kinesiology." (He is currently on the PE degree, but since first year is all intro classes, he can change major and not lose credit, because he had to take intro kinesiology classes for the PE degree...difference is one only gives you education to coach, other you can still coach, but also do sports medicine.) DH said that he thinks that is an awesome plan, and we start talking about that until we get home, then he tells BS20 same when we get home. Nice diversion, huh?

It is a contract, but after they run out, they just keep renewing on a month to month. If you cancel a line before end of contract (which the phone is still on a 2-year), then they charge you a crazy fee. But I already thought about how to get around that and cut her off. I could call the provider and tell them that the phone was stolen, and because I don't know who has been called with the current number, I would also like a new number. I could just request a new sim card and say I have a backup phone (which I do). That would immediately deactivate the sim in her phone, and then I could use the line for my personal trainer job without worry of getting hassled by her little friends.

But, DH won't allow it. I know, my account, just do it...but I need to be ready for that fight, because it will be a big one! I have half a mind to tell DH, "Fine, you want to pay for her to have a phone? Then, you get her a pay-as-you-go phone...that way, if she doesn't return your calls, you just don't have to pay to have it on the next month...let it get turned off for a month, and see if she responds to you more regularly then!"

I'm also not happy about DH pushing color guard...but then, there is a part of me that is hoping that by him pushing it, that HHB will end up NOT wanting to do color guard. If she thinks it's something that dad wants her to do, she may just not do it out of spite...lol. But, if she isn't jumping at it, that really makes me wonder what is really going on there. Are the other girls not liking her because they know what went on at the school here when she was in guard? Is the school or SF not letting her do color guard because of her grades, and she just doesn't want to tell DH? Personally, I think the girl needs to concentrate on her core coursework...and NOTHING else. Let's get caught up, and THEN, maybe consider fun stuff her senior year if she shows dramatic improvement.

The funniest thing is when HHB mentioned in the call yesterday about her babysitting job..."I can start putting a little money aside for a car." BWAHAHAHAHA! Maybe if she started this babysitting thing 2-3 years ago! The PARTS car I bought to fix my son's with was $1000...and that was for something with a bad transmission and bad electrical! Anything that girl would actually drive would cost no less than $2,000! She is only getting like $50/week! And we all know that HHB can't keep money....no, she will be "saving" but the moment one of her little friends says "let's go to the mall"...she will stuff that money in her purse and go! And I'll be darned if I will allow DH to help that brat get a car! Cars are privileges...not some RIGHT of passage just because you turn 16! She already proved she can't follow the law with her little incident.

And yes, turns out she is now eligible for her license again. She completed her community service and stuff, and that means the charges were dropped and removed from her record. Without the offense on her record, she can get a license. Sometimes the justice system makes me sick to my stomach! So, you have this kid that obviously cannot follow the law, and you are going to give her the opportunity to get her license before 18 anyway? Just like that wreck that happened outside of my neighborhood a few months ago...that guy had several DWI's on his record, and every time, served maybe a couple of days, and let out. Yeah, his license was suspended, but he was still driving...and then he killed a couple of kids because he was drunk! Think HHB learned anything? Nope...putting that girl behind of the wheel now would be the most irresponsible thing one can do as a parent!

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Do you have the ability to block numbers? Verizon allows you to block numbers for free for a time. It's only good for so long (90 days, I think) and then you have to renew the block if you still want that number blocked.

We are only allowed to block up to a certain amount of numbers with the management stuff on her phone, and that list reached it's limit a long time ago!

Personally, I just want to kill the whole phone...entitled brat! We don't pay for her phone to talk to friends and such. We pay for the phone so that DH could get hold of her...that was the sole purpose of getting her one in the first place, because before, BM would NEVER answer the phone to let DH talk to HHB. Now, BM has HHB thinking it is okay to ignore her dad. If we aren't getting what we are paying for, I say stop the benefit...but DH is dead set that HHB has to keep her phone.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Eff it. Find a number you can remove and replace it with the new frequently called/texted number. }:)