You are here

Am I overreacting?

Tiffanyartist11's picture

Today the 2 SS 16 and 18 arrived to stay for an entire week (shoot me) for one of 3 weeks this summer. Normally they spend half their time here but I love getting a break when they go back to their moms. My husband took them fishing today because that's their tradition for Father's Day. They grumbled and acted like it was a big chore to go. I was surprised they actually gave him a card. They never think of anyone else. After they left I went to get in the fridge and eat my leftovers for lunch from a restaurant. The food was no where to be found. I looked in the trash and the container was in there. I got so angry. I texted my husband and asked if someone had eaten my food (clearly someone had). He acted all upset that I was making a big deal about my food being eaten. I really don't care about other food but when you go out to eat and bring something half eaten home, isn't it common knowledge not to eat that if it belongs to someone else? I guarantee if it was the other way around and I ate something they brought home they would flip. However I know they are too cheap to ever eat out if we aren't paying for it. I don't know why it bothered me so much today. I am pregnant and things have been irritating me more. Seriously though, does anyone else think it's rude? I think he should have at least asked. I think it bothers me more too because the kid is food obsessed. He always had to eat anything I buy at the grocery store before I can even put it away. He is overweight and it's only going to get worse.

Well here I sit, barricaded in our room because music is blaring. This will not continue when there's a newborn in the house.

I purchase all the food around here and yes they both work and all that money goes into the bank. When they want something they ask their dad and of course he gives them money on top of the money he puts in their bank accounts regularly for doing nothing. I am going to start labeling my food with sharpies.

newenglandmom's picture

I would say, that given all that you're doing in.your life and being pregnant you should be priority one right now!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

You are perfectly justified in being upset that the skids just ate your leftovers without asking. Like I say in my house, I expect that you at least ask! If I say no, leave it alone. If I'm okay with you having it, I will tell you!

TGIHB...I don't have to worry about SD15 eating any of my stuff...it's all too healthy...LOL. SD15 wouldn't dare go near plain yogurt, veggies, chia seeds, unsweetened almond milk, etc. LOL! Don't know what phase she is in at the moment...I've luckily not seen her much since school let out. She was at BM's last week...I was at my seminar this weekend...she is at her cousin's today...and goes back to BM's for several days tomorrow. I do know we went out for Father's Day dinner on Saturday night, and she had like two bites of salad, and maybe 5 popcorn shrimp (DH wanted Red Lobster). Hard to say if she is starving herself again, or because it was vegetables and sea food.

Hey good point, when I was eating a lot healthier pre-pregnancy (sounds horrible I know) they def didn't bother my stuff as much. I've had this incredible desire for pepperoni pizza these days...ugh!~~

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

I guess I'm a bit thankful that SD15 isn't like that...at least I can have stuff in the house I know she won't touch. Now, DH likes to have his ice cream, cookies, cheese and crackers, candy...I can't buy any of that because he will tell SD15 that she can have "some", and in her mind, that means from that point on she can eat that thing without asking further. DH will decide he wants a bowl of ice cream or some crackers and cheese, and he will find the ice cream and crackers gone. Girl Scout cookies...got DH some thin mints a while back...he told SD15 she could have "some". This was when the box was nearly full. 3 days later, he decided he wanted cookies, and she had left one for him in the box...ONE! Bad thing is, she will not eat anything else. He has finally learned to keep things like cookies, candy, beef jerky, etc. in the bedroom. BS19 stopped by the store and bought some stuff for himself...one of those things being some chocolate syrup. He was running late for work, and didn't get it put back in his room, and I hadn't noticed it...so it was out on the kitchen counter. When SD15 came home, helped herself to a big ol' glass of chocolate milk. She never bothers asking. It is sad that BS19 has to keep a mini-fridge in his room so she will stay out of his stuff, because SD15 assumes anything in the kitchen is open for her to have. Again, as long as it is healthy, she doesn't touch it, so I'm the only one safe in this house.

superscribbler's picture

No your not over-reacting.
Dont EVER doubt yourself, because your doing everything RIGHT

superscribbler's picture

No your not over-reacting.
Dont EVER doubt yourself, because your doing everything RIGHT

haha good one! Whenever I bake anything they will devour it in a day and eat it for breakfast. My husband somehow thinks that's cute because his ex never made a damn thing. "they really like your cooking hun..." yeah it's not cute

Rose.Colored.Glasses's picture

Thank goodness my FDH always makes sure the kids leave something for me. I hate that he has to ensure this. I think kids need to learn self control. Snacks should last more than 24 hours.

Oh, and my leftovers, I nvr get to eat them myself either. And yes, it bugs the bejeezus out of me. More so b/c my ex loved to do it to me. He'd wake up in the middle of the night just to eat my leftovers so food is kind of a sensitive subject with me. I've never liked sharing food. I don't let others(not even my bio's) eat off my plate or drink from my cup. Get your 'effin own!

I love the ExLax idea i might get creative myself lol }:)

LisaBC's picture

I am in an unusual situation as I live next door to my partner's EX (long story and yes it is a nightmare) We share custody of my SD16, one week with us and one week with her mum..when staying with her mum my SD16 will come in to our house and help herself to what is in the cupboards, fridge etc as she or her mum cannot be bothered to go shopping. So when I come to make dinner etc the food is gone!.... has anyone got any good stress relieveing ideas or ways to keep calm under stressful situations, as honestly sometimes I could blow a gasket.... my partner's EX recieves a very good alimony which allows her not to work and have a very comfortable lifestyle, so going to the shops (which is seriously just over the road) would not be difficult for either of them...