You are here

Kickin' my own backside ...

2Tired4Drama's picture

My BF's mother just had a milestone birthday. She lives quite a distance (and several timezones) away. My BF and I traveled there for a week's vacation but primarily to spend the birthday with her and the rest of the family.

A few days before BF and I were ready to depart, I decided to take a recent photo of SD23, printed it out and had it nicely framed as a birthday gift for BF's mom/SD's grandma. I had a feeling (rightly so) that SD wouldn't bother to do anything for her, which she didn't. BF sent SD a text with the framed photo, saying "Here's your gift to your grandma." She texted him back, "Thanks."

Grandma loved photo and raved about it. She then told BF and I she was going to write a nice thank you note to SD telling her how thoughtful and meaningful the photo gift was.

I figured she wouldn't be bothered to send her grandma a card, that's waaaay too much effort. But both BF and I hoped SD would at least call her grandma. Nope. Not a jingle. I am certain she will use the timezone as an excuse for not calling and BF will willingly accept that as an excuse from his darling daughter. But it won't wash with me because I just saw on her FB page that she was out partying with friends.

BF will say absolutely nothing to SD about her lack of initiative or involvement in her own grandma's birthday. It also goes without saying that I won't get a word of thanks from her either, even though she knows damn well I was the one who did the photo gift.

I have decided that this is the absolute last time I will do anything that will make this self-absorbed "adult" look good. While I don't regret the action itself, because it meant so much to BF's mom, I won't be doing anything in SD's name again.

Thus, a good swift kick to my own ass is in order ... to remind me that trying to be nice to self-centered narcissists is a losing game.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Thanks for your inputs ... I know for a FACT I won't be doing it again.

It is really sad that SD thinks so little of her grandparents. Who knows how much longer these good old souls will have on the planet, and it's terrible how little regard or respect they are given. These people survived war in an occupied country and ate weeds to survive. Yet they have never let a single grandchild's birthday go by without recognition, nor without sending a gift - even though they have very little.

Yet their darling granddaughter (who is working a full-time job at a very generous salary) can't be bothered to make a phone call. And their sorry-ass son won't even call her out on it.

How shameful all the way around.

Sambolina1's picture

Yup, I covered for rude entitled children too. They took can't take a minute to show any gratitude. NMP. Not my problem!

AVR1962's picture

My advise, is even though you find this rude or inappropriate behavior, just stay out of it. You were the one that took the pic, you were the one who should have given it as a present. You get involved trying to be nice like this and it will only back fire on you.