You are here

The "Daddy Voice" ruined a great Thanksgiving.

Not-the-mom's picture

Our Thanksgiving was going great - just my DH and I - relaxing, watching old movies and eating turkey, pie, stuffing, etc..... NO DRAMA! Blum 3 It was wonderful.

Then later in the evening my DH's daughter called him to wish him a Happy Thanksgiving - which was nice of her - but I could hear the whole conversation. For me, just the sound of her voice got me all stressed.

My DH's daughter has always spoken with what I call her "daddy voice" when speaking to her father. She is 26 years old, and she still talks like a four-year old to him. High voice, little girl intonations etc.... Over the years I have finally gotten my husband to stop talking back to her in like tones. Wink I would make bets with him that I could tell it was his daughter on the other end of the phone, just by how he said "HI" whenever she called - and he answered the phone.

We know she doesn't talk this way at her job - but she can really lay it on when she is wanting to manipulate people to like her, do her bidding and basically control them. The first time my son met her he said she was a real manipulator by the way she spoke. We were hoping that over the years she would grow out of it, but she hasn't. (roll eyes).

I told my husband last night that he needs to talk to her out of my earshot - in another room of the house - with the door shut - the next time she calls.

How do others of you in similar circumstances deal with this? I really can't stand to hear her - or her brothers - voice over the phone. I have already informed my DH that I will not be in their presence again - unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary - but now I can't even stand to hear their voice either. I figure if they are going to be "out-of-my-life" I want them TOTALLY out!

Auteur's picture

Not having an older skid, I've yet to hear it but I have heard the "skid" voice that GG uses when talking to his preciouses.

Where's the Giant Cookie Tossing Hurl Alert on this post??

"HIIIIIIIII HOOONNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!"

(syrupy sing songy voice; and this is talking to his youngest SON)

If I ever hear that voice again (after over two years of NOT hearing it) it will be TOO SOON!!!

WAIT! I take that back. I remember specifically VD talking to daddyyyyyyyyyyyy and whining, then Prince Hygiene doing his god-forsaken BABY TALK!!! :sick:

Bio father's picture

How did tha ruin your Thanksgiving, I'm only asking. I'm a bio father and I enjoy every chance I have to spend or speak with my kids. Although you had a good day, I'm sure it made him feel a little better that she thought of him.

Bubbly1's picture

I know EXACTLY what you mean! It makes me want to puke! They are 5 and 8 but, he talks like they are infants. SO ANNOYING!!! And the 5yr old still talks like one, she still calls him da da for pete sake! I wanna scream everytime I hear "Da da, can I have shome toolade" um, no. Go ask fat ass bm, cause we don't drink that crap here!!

giveitago's picture

I know who DH is talking to by the tone of his voice too...LOL.
I just say 'ughhhhh' and leave it at that.
As they get older, though, he is changing his tone with them. He now sees their true colors and deals with them much more appropriately now. It's been a long haul with SKids, they came of age though!

emotionaly beat up's picture

Biofather, I understand where she is coming from. It was not the fact that she rang her father to wish him a Happy Thanksgiving it was "The Voice". As a dad you may not get it, and maybe your daughter is a normal woman who behaves as a normal grown woman towards her father. Unless you have experinced this complete change of tone from adult woman when they are talking to their daddies whether on the phone or in person you cannot understand. It is creepy. I have experienced it, and I find it quite disgusting. These adult daughters talk to their fathers in a way you would expect younger women to talk to their boyfriends, you know that cutsy cute thing manipulating girls do. I was always embarrassed by it, for an by my husband. To me these types of phone calls where daughter is being all coy with dad were bordering on incestuous. Now I know they weren't and I am not accusing anyone on this site of that, it is the best way I can describe to you "the voice". And it was the creepy I'm trying to pick you up voice that ruined the the Thanksgiving for her, not the fact the daughter called. Most of us just want normal relationships, most of us want our husbands to be happy, and most of us would be happy for our husbands kids to call anytime especially the holidays. But The Voice, we'd rather they kept if for their boyfriends and in the bedroom thanks.

sandye21's picture

It is that 'voice' that signals manipulation using sexual tones to get what they want. I've never heard SD use the 'voice'. Instead, she has whined to DH about me, accused me of things I didn't do, puffs up like a blow fish or rolls her eyes whenever I say anything, treats me like I am invisible, plays sadistic games, then, after yelling and screaming at me, tells DH she "likes" me. And after witnessing all of this he actually believed her. I am wondering Biodad where you place the value of your marraige. If you place it first and foremeost you are very different from my DH.

Not-the-mom's picture

Hey Saffron5567, be careful, if you are going to another country that is someplace the skids would want to see, they will try and finds ways to VISIT YOU! They will figure they can stay with you for FREE and sightsee and get FREE MEALS from you, instead of paying for it. Blum 3

Not-the-mom's picture

Sorry about that.....but look at it as advanced warning, and take steps to guard against it happening! Wink

Do you have to tell them your new address? Biggrin