You are here

Do I have to pay CS for HIS kids?

stepmom1989's picture

If I was to get a job, since DH and I are married now. Would the income of the household go up and would we have to pay MORE child support?? I have herd this numerous times and to be honest, it makes me not want to even get a job. Why should I have to pay CS on HIS kids?? What’s the point of getting a job if its going to benefit her?? If this is true, is there anyway to get around it? Such as filing taxes as "married filing separately"??

overworkedmom's picture

No way! you don't have to include your income for child support. On the flip side she doesn't have to include her husbands she is or gets married. So it basically doesn't matter if you make a million dollars or if BM's hypothetical husband makes a billion. CS is based on the actual parents income.

Auberry2's picture

You shouldn't have to pay CS for his children, nor should your income be considered if he gets taken to court for an increase, however, in the state of Texas, if your DH owes back CS more than (I believe) $5,000 they can take your income tax refund if you and your DH file your taxes married filing jointly.

stepmom1989's picture

Oh ok good,!! So my income should be safe, but JUST in case; going to do, married filing separately lol

Orange County Ca's picture

Better yet just don't get married until they're all 18 and absolutely keep all your assets apart from hers. She isn't even a co-signer on your checking account.

caregiver1127's picture

You income will not be taken into consideration - the courts feel that both of the child's bio parents should contribute - I know many a BM has tried this but I have not heard of any succeeding.

herewegoagain's picture

Check your state laws...most states do NOT count it. But, some states that require the income of all parties, they actually don't increase it, or so they claim...but can say that your DH has more money to spend since his bills are now only 1/2 if you work. So, before you do anything, check YOUR state laws...the laws where the CS order is in.