You are here

What is going on with her?

Nothemom's picture

My husband has a daughter that is 9 and a son that is 14. The 14 year old has decided to minimize his time at our house. It has been reduced to 0 time. Things have been going along normally. I say normally as in the daughter 9 rarely talks to me and asks dad for everything. Cries constantly at night about missing her mom and usually complains about something hurting her.
My husband and I have an infant and for the last week the daughter 9 is acknowledging our son but still rarely me. She keeps asking her dad about the songs I sing to my son. Songs in the morning, bath time, playing etc. During bath time I have a song I sing about ducks and he has ducks to play with. She has now gotten her own duck and sings the song. She also says some of the songs are stuck in her head at weird times. For example she came over in the evening and she says the morning song has been stuck in her head. I think this is weird to be starting this but originally brushed it off as she is just trying to find something in common with me or our son.
She has a great relationship of shopping with her mom but from what I gather that is about it. My question is this; could it be that she is envious of my relationship with my son, that he has both his dad and mom every night, and is she trying to get the same treatment (by asking about the songs and putting toys in the bath with her)? Or am I just over thinking this?

Doubletakex3's picture

I agree. with McKenzie. I've found that my stepdaughter will often mimic me when I whistle (I sometimes whistle mindlessly & don't realize I'm doing it) and then add her own variation of the tune. And, when I realize it we laugh about it.

I think it's her way to engage in a non-threatening way. After all, they say music is the universal language. Wink

hbell0428's picture

As far as the daughter ONLY talking to dad - I think DH should point that out to her. Nip it now before it gets too late. My SD14 would walk right by me as if I didn't even exist!!
I think that the other things might be her way of finding out where "she" fits in. Let if fall into place; see how she responds?? Good Luck