You are here

SD12 “spent” the night

Thisisnotus's picture

For the first time in over 2 years....but there is a catch.

its now 7 am and she still hasn't gone to sleep, and is already asking to go back to BMs.

she regularly stays up until 5 am and sleeps until 4pm. They all think this is somehow cute and normal.

the problem is that not only did she stay up all night but so did SD17. DD12 and DD15. I've yelling at my kids since 3:30 am to go to sleep and then yelled at everyone at 5:30 am....they are all still up.

DH got pissed at me because I got mad at them. I don't think it's cute to stay up all night.

DH won't leave the house until skids wake up and get picked up by BM....we had plans today for a babysitter for our toddler and to go out. I'm sure those are all canceled as we sit here until 4 pm when his princessss wake up.....well if they ever go to sleep.

so now DH is in a bad mood and I've somehow ruined the day because heaven forbid I get mad.

Thisisnotus's picture

Not to worry though, DH is now making everyone a gourmet breakfast. SD12 is just parading around the house...

I guess when SD12 graces us with her presence we have to make sure everything is perfect and make sure she comes back....so she's free to do anything.

tog redux's picture

It is fairly normal for adolescents to get their sleep schedule turned around during non-school periods, if allowed to. I've heard from a lot of parents we work with that this has happened during the COVID crisis since they don't have to be "at school" in many cases, and can do their work whenever.

So given that the older kids were staying up, I'm not surprised she did too. Doesn't seem fair to single her out as the problem when your kids were up all night as well.

Thisisnotus's picture

I would agree except that this hasn't happened before here. My kids stay up until 3 am often but it's now 8:30 and nobody has been to sleep. 

SD12 has been doing this since I've known her....she misses over 30 days of school each year because of it....last year she missed 45 days of school.

The real issue is that I told them to go to sleep at 3:30, DH told them at 5:30 and I told them again at 6:30.....nobody listened but DH wants to continue to jump when they say jump. I just don't play that game.

my kids TVs are gone and they will now give me their phones at midnight for a while.....for not doing what I asked them....his  kids will probably get $20 and a Starbucks.

tog redux's picture

Gotcha. I say take the skids back to BM now and go about your plans for the day - why let them sleep at your house if they haven't gone to sleep? But I assume DH won't go for that.

Thisisnotus's picture

That's part of it with SD12 not sleeping here....in her mind she didn't technically sleep here so BM can't make her feel guilty......she is on her 3rd Diet Coke and has had breakfast so I'm sure BM will be around to collect her soon enough.

i guess it's a bigger picture like DH and MIL being so worried about SD12....she always looks sick or is sick and they don't know why she acts out of it all the time. But nobody seems to think that it's unhealthy for a 12 year old to not sleep.

Thisisnotus's picture

It really is. DH is just fawning all over them and I am so pissed because they refused to listen to us 3 times.

and oddly enough our toddler slept until 830 for the first time ever and we were up arguing at 5 am over the kids not going to sleep. Grrrrr.

This girl is doomed between living with her alcoholic mother and this no sleep BS....and an enabling guilty rug sweeping daddy.....she is in for a troubled future.

tog redux's picture

To me, this is the ultimate in selfish parenting. Ruin your child's chance at a good life so you can fool yourself into thinking you are great parent because your kid is happy with you all the time.

Mommajay's picture

Omg that is not healthy for her. I think she is too young to stay up that long. Maybe dad should not let her sleep that late. It's also rude to come to someone's house and sleep all day instead of interacting with them. And the soda! 

Thisisnotus's picture

She never sleeps here so BM lets her sleep late and stay up all night....she woke at 6 pm last week so DH didn't even bother picking her up that day.

she won't go to sleep here today....she is waiting on BM or a ride to BMs.

MissK03's picture

We were having serious problems with SS16 staying up literally ALL night. I would get up for work at 545am and he would be walking around the house. Turned the internet off, data on his phone, etc. He would just continue to stay up. SD13 goes to bed probably around 1ish (I'm guessing) and SS15 probably around 2,3. Everyone that we have talked to his having a hard time with kids going to bed. All the skids play games with their friends so it is definitely a common trend everywhere. We don't even buy soda so it's not like they are hyped up on caffeine. As for your plans for today.. were your kids going with you? Can they watch the baby? Your SD17 can't watch SD12?? 

Thisisnotus's picture

My kids have already been picked up as my ex and i switch on Sundays. Both skids just went up and fell asleep around 9:30....awesome!

In 4 years DH has ONE time left this house on a weekend while a skid was still asleep and that was last week when it finally turned 2 PM and I said we are leaving.....

this being the first time in 2 years SD is sleeping here and now won't wake up until probably 5 Pm....he won't leave the house until she wakes up and goes back to BM.

now DH is crying and telling me he doesn't know why I'm so worked up.....

i am just canceling the babysitter and we can sit on the couch all day like usual and wait for them to wake up...so he can feed them.'lol 

Thisisnotus's picture

I haven't taken the baby out anywhere during the covid crap.

My kids are already with their dad which is why we had already set up a babysitter (grandma). BM normally is here to fetch SD on Sunday by 11.  Apparently not today.

SteppedOut's picture

Take the baby to grandma and go do something by yourself! If he wants to sit on the couch waiting on his kids to wake, so be it! Don't ruin your day because of it! 

LivMommy's picture

Oooofffff lack of sleep is so bad for you, especially for teenagers!! I'm a big believer in sleep. Do you take phones/tablets at night?? I would, but I'm not sure DHs reaction to this. 

hereiam's picture

i am just canceling the babysitter and we can sit on the couch all day like usual and wait for them to wake up...

Nope, go and do something. Don't sit there and keep him company because he won't parent his own kids. LEAVE.