You are here

Present for baby brother

lorlors's picture

So, SD(almost17) is at BM’s for school holidays at the moment. However, she usually lives with us and called round today to meet our new baby son- her half brother.

I don’t think at almost 17 years old that it is asking too much to have brought a card for him or a small gift. Isn’t that the normal etiquette and the done thing when visiting a new baby in your family?!! Or am I expecting too much here?

She also started crying as soon as she saw him because she is ‘an emotional person’ and they definitely didn’t look like happy tears to me. 

fourbrats's picture

for any occasion come across as selfish and spoiled so there is that. No it is not normal etiquette for a child who lives in your home to bring you what amounts to a push present (because little brother doesn't know the difference, so it is a present for you). It isn't expected or even reasonable. 

And perhaps she was just shedding tears of excitement, or wonder, or awe. My almost 17 year old cries every time she meets a new baby and cried especially when meeting her two little nephews. 

SonOfABrisketMaker's picture

she lives in your home. That’s her new baby brother. She has the rest of their lives to spoil him. 

Out of DD’s 3 siblings only one gave her a gift. SD was so overwhelmed with joy at having a sister that she wrote her a welcome letter. I’ve kept it in DD’s treasure box. 

notsurehowtodeal's picture

No, it is not normal etiquette for a sibling who still lives at home to bring a gift or card for the birth of a new sibling. It almost seems as if you think she should have brought a present because she is currently not at home and came for a visit to meet her new brother.

As to her tears, I don't know your backstory and maybe she is not happy about the baby, but I can see a girl of that age crying when meeting her new brother.

shamds's picture

but gee you’re being pretty petty

when i gave birth to both kids and some of hubbys siblings who live near us came hours after i gave birth to my daughter at the hospital. They came after work and school and i never expected presents from them

even when visiting my home i never expected presents but in hubbys family when they visit once mumma comes home from hospital we do get gifts but never are they expected

personally for me gifts mean nothing when the half sibling or person is a rel arsehole!! I’d much value the time and effort they make to be with my kids and teach them positive things.

my kids and their 1st cousins mostly have a 20yr age gap and it means more to me to see them together playing and spending quality time

its a big slap in my and my kids face to have self entitled bratty rude disrespectful stepkids gifting presents to my kids (their half siblings) but refuse to spend time or make an effort or even initiate or maintain contact like video chat or skype, its like the presents are just to give an impression they care when in reality they don’t want to be around. 

So no sd was not out of line, she is not a hrown adult yet, her bio mum is not responsible to buy you a present for your child too for her sd to gift

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

No, it is not normal etiquette or part of any custom where I live to give a baby a present when visiting - this is usually done at a baby shower. (You may take some flowers for a visit at the house, but even that isn't a requirement.)
I think you are judging your SD's reaction a bit harsh - and paying too much attention to it.  Please concentrate on your baby and don't create unnecessary issues for yourself when they are not needed.

tog redux's picture

Yes, you are expecting too much - especially from a 17 year old.  How would a 17 year old know your idea of "normal etiquette" around a new baby? How many new babies do you think she has visited independently where a gift might be appropriate? If she has visited any other new babies, it's probably been with her mother or another adult.

And no one is owed gifts, ever, for anything. It's a very entitled point of view to think everyone who sees your baby will bring a gift.  You are lucky anyone even cares to see your baby at all, it's not the wonderful experience to them that it is to you.

And if she's been the only child of DH so far, her tears just might be unhappy, but be grateful she's mature enough to deal with that without punishing you, DH and the new baby for being born.

ndc's picture

I think your expectations are unreasonable. Kids are not generally expected to buy gifts for a new sibling.  As for the tears, since you have no idea what's going through her mind, you're borrowing trouble at this point. She might have been genuinely happy and just emotional.

notasm3's picture

I think what you really wanted was for her to show joy over this event.  That often doesn’t happen even in intact families.  I had two friends in high school whose mother had a baby. They were FURIOUS that their mother had a child.   But both soon loved  and adored their baby sister. 

lorlors's picture

SD has been such an infernal little b1tch about previous miscarriages and losses (of twins then a further pregnancy) that I am no doubt on red alert for any further negativity which I don’t want around my baby.

Letti.R's picture

Your baby would have no knowledge either way as to SD bringing a present, so this is your expectation or disappointment alone.
Do you have an expectation that other visitors bring presents for your baby, or only your SD?
Agreeing with posters above, you are being unreasonable and unfair in your judgment of SD in this case.

Notup4it's picture

I think expecting her to bring a present for her sibling is super weird. It is like asking the parents to bring a present... strange because she is immediate family. PLUS she is 17 years old.  I think you are living in dream land personally. 

Thumper's picture

Its a little much of you to assume she bring her 1/2 sibling a gift. NOW, your husband should could have taken her out 'hey lets find a small gift".. did he offer?

You dont seem very nice.  Just an observation based on the words you wrote.