You are here

Anybody living separately from their dh/bf and skids?

bananashake's picture

Hey all. Smile

I have been posting here for a year or so and this forum has been paramount in helping to prevent me from making choices that would affect my life n a major way.

I have a BF and he has two kids with sole custody (bm is a trainwreck and sees them every couple months or so) (his dd5 and ds3) and I have no kids and very likely not going to have any (medical issues, personal decision). We do not live together, i have my own apartment and live alone THANK GOD, but I see him and his kids very often. His kids are always happy to see me, run to me with hugs and kisses and telling me about school, their friends. I go with him to see their concerts, or to see other mutal friends with kids, we even went camping and I actually enjoyed it. I come to enjoy buying them things, playing with them, bathing them, etc. Don't get me wrong, they still get attitude and can be brats but bf has given me authority to layers thee smacketh should the time come, I find when I do they listen to me and do as they are told. Instead of a stepmother, I kind of am more of a fun auntie? I'm fine with it, bf is fine with it, and the skids are fine with it. Honestly, since all of us have come to this "mutual agreement" my relationship with all of them has been much more at ease.

To be frank, I like the arrangement we have and have no intentions of changing it anytime soon. I like having my own space and peace cause while I am a big part of their lives (and they are a big part of mine), I have my own life that includes my career, hot yoga, running, shopping, vacations with the gals, etc. Again, I have this amazing forum to thank for listening to my gut and planting my feet where I feel comfortable.

Problem is, with this arrangement people are chirping around us and inquiring when we are going to move forward With the relationship(I.e. move in together). They ask my bf when I plan on having my own child, why are we moving at a snails pace. They say the skids love you, it will get better when you move in now that you established yourself in their lives (somehow I doubt that), if you aren't going to move forward then you need to leave bf cause you are not being fair to hm and the kids. That i must not love them if i dont want to move in with them (meanwhile he is perfectly fine with our relationship as well) Since when does every relationship have to be living together? It doesn't mean I love them any less, I am living on my own for my own sanity. And to be frank, I don't want to live with another man again (been there, done that for 5 years and learned that I like my space). Also, this may sound selfish, but I like to have an easy way out of a relationship and having my own place kind of ensures that for me so if a breakup should occur I don't have to spend months packing, moving, etc.

Does anyone have this type of living arrangement with their dh/bf/skids? And you may share your opinions about our current arrangement if you wish to, I trust your guys insight and opinions and do take them seriously.

Thanks all. Smile

justpeachy333's picture

Hi bananashake. First let me say that I agree with you decision (not that I need to!). I, too, think the situation you are in is ideal regarding stepkids. Everyone tries to force this ideal family life on a blended family. Well guess what, it's not ideal. In most cases, what is ideal for the kids is to have their original family back together. Then, to add insult to injury, they are now expected to live with another woman part of the time and follow her rules. That usually doesn't go we'll. and from the stepmoms point if view, well lets just say it's no walk in the park either. When my SO and I met I told him that I had lived on my own for years and I would like for us to maintain two residences. He has 2 kids (11 and 5 and I didn't see the need in trying to force us all together like the Brady Bunch). Fast forward 2 years and we now live together full time and have a one year old together. Of course, his kids and I are having the usual issues, especially with his younger son. He disrespects me, doesn't listen, smarts off.. Lord, I could go on and on. Without hijacking your thread here (sorry!), I have told him that I wanted to start working toward getting two places. That life will be a lot simpler when I don't feel the need to be a disciplinarian to his kids. (Not to mention have our daughter witness this rude behavior towards her mom and think it's normal). My SO doesn't like the idea but I think he's willing to do it. He sees I'm really struggling. I love him, he's a truly good person (better than I am most days) and I don't want to see our relationship become another statistic. I have told him I will marry him (I'm not crazy about the concept in general) but I will have to have a two place arrangement to do so. I'm not a glutton for punishment and believe its the only way we'll make it.

Having said all that, you mentioned that you like to have a way out in a breakup. Girl, please take it from me...if you have that even in the back of your mind, please never change your mind and move in with this man. I promise you, people who tell you it'll get better once you move in are fools. It does not get better. When you move in us exactly the point when it gets worse.

Good luck to you. Enjoy some alone time for me! Wink

sbm014's picture

Do what you want - you can't let others trying to influence your relationship stress you out - each relationship is different.

SO and I live together and have SS 2/3 weeks he is home - since he works offshore. I will say it is so nice when he is gone - I miss him greatly but it gives me the chance to be me, and live a SKid free life, except the occassional school lunches, or sports.