You are here

Do you know anyone who has 'made it'???

StressedOutStepMom2's picture

After reading all of these stories, and searching my heart, I have realized something. I love my SO and do not want to leave him because of his sons. We want a child together. We want the same things in life. In 7 years his oldest will be gone. In 11, his youngest will be too. 11 years isn't so long!

So after coming to this realization, I thought, "Are there any stepparents out there who have stuck out their marriages until their stepchildren were grown and out of the house?"

I would love to hear some of THOSE stories!!!! Maybe give me some hope for the future?

StepOnMe101's picture

I am in the same boat. My step daughter is 8 1/2. Things have gotten so bad with her and her Mother in the past that I have pondered leaving my husband. But the reality is I just couldn't do that to him. He doesn't deserve it. He is a wonderful Father, a loving husband, and a smart, hard working man. We don't have too much longer to endure with our step children...we can do it!!!!!!!! I too want a child of my own with my husband and I think that will change things a lot! I think I will have more of an understanding of where he comes from and how it feels to be a parent.

Mindygirl1's picture

Who are you kidding....Stepchildren don't go away... I am laughing my butt off at this one. They grow up and get even worse... You just have to learn to deal so that they don't control your lives...I can't quit laughing....

Not mrs brady's picture

Hiya! I'm new to the site - but I think I've made it! I have 2 bd (16 & 19) and 2 sd ( 14 & 16). Dh and I have been together for 10 years and have had 50/50 custody the whole time. My bd's are with us 100% of the time. Wink

When they were all little I had many many days where I just was not going to make it. I moved out a couple of times - we called it a sideways step - just to get some breathing space for 6 months! We never broke up and still did lots of family stuff together, but I got to go home to peace when ever I needed it! Smile

Eventually we built our dream home, with enough space for everyone to do their thing without tripping over each other and that made a huge change to our lives!

Now my eldest daughter has moved out and the end is in sight with the other 3 - they are now well rounded, self reliant individuals - after a decade of trying to get them there!

Don't give up - make your own rules and levels of acceptance ( bedrooms, hygiene etc) and stick with them! I wish I had a dollar for every time I said " I don't care what you do at mums house!". None of my kids ran my house, ever! I'm the queen of this castle!

I believe the relationships I ( and I mean that. I did all the work, I brought in all the new strategies) have built in my blended family are now strong enough that for us, there will be no difference in grandkids bonding with me and my partner.. They will all just be ours!

I think for me, the biggest difference was learning to detach from BM not the kids. I couldn't tell you how much child support we pay or anything else to do with her. I don't talk to her but could be civil for a gathering if needed.. I'm not interested in what happens in her house or her life. As soon as I stopped resenting her for meeting my lovely hubby first, it got a lot easier to see her kids as, well, just kids.. They really aren't monsters, or even probably that much worse than every other kid on the street!

There's an old saying... What you focus on expands. I try to live remembering this. If you focus on the negative behaviors of these kids, that's all you will see. Try looking for positives...then they will become easier to find.

If all else fails... Fake it it ya make it!

JaneDoe88's picture

As soon as I stopped resenting her for meeting my lovely hubby first, it got a lot easier to see her kids as, well, just kids.. They really aren't monsters, or even probably that much worse than every other kid on the street!

How did you do that? Please tell me... Sad

stepfamilyfriend's picture

So far we've made it. We have been together for 8 years. Sd was 10 and SS was 15. They are both on their own, or at least they are not depending on us for anything. SS was a breeze; Sd very intense and with a mean streak that is to be reckoned with. \
It's a challenging family life for sure. The rewards are few but quite special.
If BM is not a nightmare and SO is not a guilty daddy and you BOTH care about one another's feelings, including the love the bio parent has for the kids....then you have a pretty good chance. Some stepmoms here have made it, even without the above and my hat is off to you ladies..

JustAnotherSM's picture

My SS is 19 and no longer lives at home. Well, he doesn't live with me and DH although I've heard through other family members that he recently moved back home with BM. DH and I wouldn't know because SS hasn't called to talk in almost 2 months now.

I don't think mine is a success story, but I did survive 17 years as a SM. Smile
DH and I have 2 bios together and are raising an in-tact family. Occassionally, when SS needs help or money, he will come to visit or give us a call. Otherwise, I just remind my bios once in a while that they also have a big brother who we don't get to see much.

skylarksms's picture

We have been together for 12 years, married for 10.

DS21 is out on his own and has been for a few years.

SD18 is a single mom, out on her own and PASed out by PB (BM)
SS17 is a Jr in HS and his visitation is sporadic

LUCKILY enough, we don't have to deal with PB too much anymore. THAT would have been what killed OUR marriage.

KeeKee's picture

DH and I have been together 14 years and married for 10.
Up until 2 months ago I really didn't think we were going to make it.
I totally disengaged from my Sd(now 21) almost 4 years ago.I do not see her or talk to her nor is she welcome in my home when I am here.
Her father has an active role in her life. They talk almost every day and he sees her and her two children (aged 3 and 2)weekly (they live almost an hour away). I have meet the children several times and of course they are sweet little babies and I certainly do not hold their mother against them. I also refuse to be a babysitter so my DH knows that he is on his own if he decides to babysit for her. My BD17 has a very close relationship with SD but my BS19 not so much (he had his own nightmare dealings with her).
I loved my DH so very much for years but the step-family situation took its toll and I ended up with very little respect for him and a ton of resentment. So I had firmly put my boundries up and my DH, in his infinite wisdom, respects those boundries.
It took me until now (4 yrs later) to finally be able to let go of most of the resentment that has been ripping me apart for so long...DH has had counseling, I have had counseling, we have had counseling over the last 6-7 years.
I can finally say that I feel safe and secure within my marriage. I love him very much and he is my best friend but I would never, ever do this to myself again

Wow, thank you all so much!!!! Your stories are what I hope for myself and my children.
Tonight was a rough night. My SS7 had a HORRIBLE night. Screaming at me, kicking/punching walls, crying, whining, refusing to go calm down in his room, etc. I am NOT a crier (ToughAsNails, i'm right there with you) however with my SO bedridden from a knee surgery {his 2nd since Jan. Life's a DREAM right now >:(}, 2 toddlers of my own, and two step children who are....well, *challenging*; I just lost it. I made dinner, served it, and went to sit outside. I just bawled and bawled.
I hope wish everything in me things get better. I am BARELY hanging on at this point.

dalhia's picture

oh darling, i hear you..i remember nights like that myself. i read the stories of the other step moms who "made it" and they made me feel hopeful las well. im a little ahead of you in the sense that my SD is 12 and i already starting disengaging a couple of months ago...it feels like im at the beginning of the solution while 3 or 4 months ago i felt like i was drawning in the problem and i was feeling depressed, confused and lonely. today is is not ideal and continues to be challenging but the roles of hte adults have shifted and i can see some tiny light at the end of the tunnel. igot my husband back because he is notw acting like an adult and taking care of stuff, we also figured out that we needed more time and space for the couple instead of being parents all the time, AND he is in charge of EVERYTHING for his daughter...i mean everything. if he needs a favor (picking her up from somewhere) i ll do it but it is not longer my responsibility by default. this change is helping my marriage, let's see if hte marraigne is solid enough to survive the teen years coming up...

Thanks Dalhia. Talking about it really helps. I love this forum. I don't feel judged, guilty, or like I have to defend myself. *phew* Thats a nice feeling...

dalhia's picture

yes, talking about it REALLY helps. once you atart talking and listening other stories you realized that we are all people trying to do the best we can, you also realized that you are not evil, a bad person for feeling the way you do. it is normal, these are not our children, the usually have deep rooted issues, they ususally have absent parents and they usually use you as a scape goat...now, THAT sounds to me like soemthing to be worried and depressed about. dont beat yourself over it. if you have a great partner and you have your head screwd in right, you have goo chances...but pleases remember that once the kids have theri basic needs covered (clothing, food, health insurance, education..all the basics) therre is not a whole lot more You can do as a step parent..the rest (all the emotional wellbeing, the contention ,the chats ,the cheering up, etc) that is the role of the bio parent...did you read the great article about disengaging? it will help..go to steptogether.org and go to resources...therer is an article there about disengaging that helped me so much!!!!!!!! stay in touch

thanks dalhia. Ill look at that! i know that-for my sanity-I need to disengage. however, my SO does NOT like this concept. I don't know how to make him see how I feel. I need to protect myself. If I dont, the stress of this life is likey to eat me alive.

StubbornEnough's picture

I have spent the past 4 years thinking "she will be 18 soon", but as it turns out, she has been effing off at school, and even though she SHOULD be going away to college in September, she is still in 8th grade at almost 18.

(grr, Christian school lets em work at their own pace)

So, my sentence just got longer. Miss Snitchy can still tattle on all of us for a few more years, or maybe FOREVER.

planningMyEscape's picture

I have an aunt who made it!! She married my uncle when his kids were about 4 & 6. (The kids are now 38 & 40). She went through all the same crap we are going through, and her and I talk about it all the time now, since I can totally relate to her. My uncle was a total "disney dad"-never wanting to discipline and feeling guilty all the time. She stuck it out (and the kids hated her through most of it), but now they are long gone and her and my uncle are totally happy.

I don't know if there is even the slightest chance that I will make it that long, but...in some situations, the marriage can survive. Of course, the stepmom always goes through hell in the process. I guess it depends on whether or not you are willing to put up w/the BS for that long.

hippiegirl's picture

Mindygirl1 is correct.....they do not go away. We just got SS24 out of our house, for the 3rd time in 2 years! It's a never-ending, vicious cycle with this guy. He's mooching off his gf now. At least until she tires of it and she will. They all eventually do. DH can't "just let him live on the streets". WTF? Why not? LOL!

thrownoffpath's picture

My SD is 21, still comes over every other weekend, sits on her dads lap, wants money for gas, college, her cat, etc. Sleeps on the couch all day. They don't go away. They never go away. Think of it this way - if it were your child would you think that after they hit 18 they would be gone and leave you alone. My daughter who is 16 tells me she's not moving out till after college.....

frustrated-mom's picture

I think most people that “made it” were married in the 70s when things were different. With today’s permissive, child-first parenting, there are very few blended families that are going to survive.

At least in my case, SD15 has told her dad over and over again that she can’t wait until she’s 18 so she can never see him again and he’ll be out of her life forever. I completely believe her so as long as DH will accept her decision and walk away, I’ll never have to deal with her again in 911 days.

bestwife's picture

I am of that older generation who married in the 70s. I've seen many who have made it.

But I have only been with dh a couple of years. I'm still not sure we are going to make it and his are 24 and 34.

The one who is 34 (ex con gang member) is terminally ill so is really out of the picture. Fled the state on horrible violent charges.

The 24 year old is the problem. I know dh loves him very much, but I have no use for him. I don't care if he drops dead. I know that makes me sound awful (okay I am awful), but I just don't have a place in my life for a homeless druggie even if he is kind of sweet. I did not produce him. He's the result of a ONS between DH and BM years after their divorce. I hate that he even exists. He is evidence that BM and DH could not keep their f((&ing hands off each other. Who needs to see proof of that in their life? In my opinion BM is a f*^*ing whore who cannot keep her legs together or bother to use birth control. DH hates that and will defend her.

hippiegirl's picture

I hate it when they defend the very b!tches who wrecked their lives! Makes no sense to me. My DH's ex couldn't keep her fat thighs shut, either.

young-sm-to-be's picture

Raising a hand for my own parents on this one - my father and SM have been together for a long time, then they adopted my younger sister and now they're raising my nephews. If they can do it, especially after all the personal heartbreak and life-changing decisions they've made over the years, then I think many of us can. I asked them how they did it (since I'm starting out with a ss) and they said "love, honesty, forgiveness and a whole lot of patience". Good luck!