You are here

Tips for BM coming over for first time to pick up SD?

unluckytwin's picture

Here's the situation: SO and I just moved into a new place together. BM doesn't have a car, so every time SD9 goes back and forth, SO picks her up and drops her off at her mother's. BM has not been to our new place.

Monday, SO will be back at work, and SD will not have school, so she will be with me at home all day. The switch is Mondays at 5:00 (normally occurs at SD's school). SO gave me the option: if BM doesn't have to work Monday and can get SD earlier, would I want BM to pick SD up from our house (using the bus)? (The alternative is SO gets home at 5:00 and brings SD to BM's house.)

Since I work from home and have stuff to do Monday, it'd be better for me if BM came and took SD off my hands. But I'm nervous about BM being at our house and would like to minimalize her time here. I like that my home is a space free of her, and I don't like her knowing much about our life because she's part of a gossip phone tree with other people we know (we don't share much info with them either, knowing it will get back to BM). Our house is very clean, but since we just moved in two months ago, things are not as decorated and unpacked as I'd like them to be, and (even though I can't imagine that her one-bedroom apartment is nicer than our place) I wished that if she ever had to see the inside of our house, it would look better than it does right now. Since I work from home and make a lot less money than SO, taking care of the home is a big part of my identity and how it looks matters to me.

Our house is three floors. When you walk in, you simply see a staircase and a hallway. I'd prefer that be the extent of BM's view. On the second floor you go through the living room, dining room, and kitchen to get to the next staircase. At the top of the stairs on the third floor, you have our bedroom to the left and SD's bedroom to the right.

BM and I knew each other for a while before SO and I got together and we can act civil around each other but we certainly are not friends "any more" (I'd say we were never really friends and she was just manipulative and loved attention). So I don't feel like I can go with the totally "cold" option of having her wait outside while I get SD. I'm okay with having her step inside while I call SD down, but my big fear is that SD will be all, "Mom, come see my new room!" and that I'll feel obligated to allow it (given that I used to know BM and I'll feel obligated to be polite, and that it feels weird to me to deny a mother the chance to see where he child lives 50% of the time). I also don't want to crush SD by telling her that her mother cannot see her room.

On the other hand, it is MY home, and I want it to be as much a BM-free space as possible. And we give SD a clean, safe environment, which BM doesn't need to "verify." If SD wants BM to see her room, we can text pictures of that space and that space only.

In my ideal version of this situation, I'd ask SO to get a general timeframe of BM's arrival. Then I'd like BM to text SO when she is 10 minutes out (which SO would then forward to me). I'd have SD collect her things and put them near the door, so that when BM rings the bell, I can call SD down and she can be all ready to go without needing to trek through the whole house. I'd have SO talk to SD the night before and explain how things will go and handle any "I want her to see my room" stuff himself (explaining why she won't be doing that, or offering to text pics or something).

Does that sound reasonable? Do you all have any advice on how to make this go smoothly and quickly while protecting my privacy? Thanks in advance.

Disneyfan's picture

Don't let her in the house. Make sure SD is ready to go before her mom arrives. It won't kill her to have her coat and stuff on five minutes before mom arrives. When mom rings the bell, open the door and let SD out.

Or you and SD can be standing outside when she gets there.

MdMom's picture

I also agree. This is what FDH and I have done since we have moved into our home, nearly a year ago. This is MY house, and BM free zone.

We have SD ready so that when I see BM's car pull in the driveway iI or FDH can walk SD out. BM doesn't need to see home, the outside veiw is perfect for her. = )

SMof2Girls's picture

BM doesn't come to our house. When she insists on coming to our neighborhood, DH meets her at the 7-11 around the corner. Most drop offs happen at a mid-point, which clearly won't work for you.

If she's taking the bus, any chance you can meet her there?

over_the_rainbow's picture

BM is not welcome in my house. SD invited her in once, and that was the last time. SD knows BM is not to be invited in ever again.

ocs's picture

is there no option to take her home sunday night?

I only ask because in our situation, if DH not home, neither is SD. EVER. This was never something I asked for or implemented. DH just kind of knew.

Orange County Ca's picture

It's a good opportunity to make a friend or at least an acquaintance of a person who will be a part of your life for many years to come. Instead of treating her like a smelly homeless person asking for a piece of bread why not take ten minutes over a cup of coffee? You don't have to give her a tour of the home yet why not let the kid show off her room if that's what she wants?

In any event don't listen to folks here who always want to see WWIII started up over the slightest of reasons.

JustAgirl42's picture

'Must be mass hallucination'...that made me laugh, thanks!

unluckytwin's picture

Thanks, everyone, for the advice! (Sorry to post and run--the holidays got so much busier than I thought they would be.) I *LOVE* the "Now isn't a good time" advice, so thanks, notasm! I will keep that one in my toolkit for sure.

Sunday night I asked SO to ask BM a general time frame for pick-up (she said 4-6pm) and for her to text me when she was 10 minutes out. Monday I cleaned the entry-way extra well and had SD packed and ready at 4:00. SO gets home at 5:00 and BM still had not come. She arrived around 5:30. I got up to walk SD downstairs, but SO got up, too, and I figured I might as well let him handle it. He did me proud! Not only did he sense that BM was making motions to step inside (so he stepped outside, and she had to kind of walk backwards a couple steps, haha) but he also told BM that she needs to give SD more than one shower a week when SD is at her place (SD is 9 and I am teaching her how to wash her very long hair but she gets out of practice at BM's house since she only showers on Sundays). It was nice not to have to deal with any of that and to know that SO is really good about setting and keeping boundaries these days. Whew!

unluckytwin's picture

Yes, since no one ever taught SD how to shower herself, both BM and my SO found it easier to just give her one shower a week since it meant they had to help her and that was work (and they both prefer the easy way out). Since SO and I moved in together, SD now gets 3 showers a week at our place (to be increased in increments) and I am the one teaching her how to wash hair. This was our second time in one month telling BM that SD is learning how to wash hair and needs more practice and therefore more showers, but if she returns Monday and still only had one shower at BM's house this week, then I give up trying to get BM to develop better habits. We'll just keep instilling good habits here and say "oh well" to whatever happens at BM's place.

StayingDisengaged's picture

Don't let her in! I made the mistake of letting our psycho skank BM in when we'd recently moved into a new house so the skids could show her their rooms. There was not enough sage on the planet to burn and smudge out the bad vibes that evil whore left in MY HOUSE. My sanctuary! My place of peace! Don't let her in!

sixteensmom's picture

I'm glad it worked out! I liked the suggestion to have just taken her home SUn night and eliminating the stress. Don't over think - and I'm totally an overthinker, every which way anything might go, I've thought it, analysed it and developed a response for it!! It's such a huge waste of time and energy on someone who doesn't matter one bit.

So - as to the shower situation. 9 and 10 year old girls are mean. When her classmates start to smell her or notice her dirty hair, they'll say so and she'll start showering more on her own.

ps, yay to your dh. he did good! There's nothing better than knowing your dh and you are on the same page when it comes to dealing with bms and skids!

unluckytwin's picture

The Sunday night suggestion was a good one, but then I thought harder about it and it wasn't so good. For one, they have a notarized agreement to do the swaps on Mondays. While they are civil enough to compromise on other agreements sometimes, I really don't want to start messing around with that. Secondly, I wouldn't want the situation to be reversed and have BM looking to drop SD off at our place on a Sunday night when SD is off school Monday and BM has to work. If we REALLY couldn't have SD here on a Monday and have BM pick her up at our house, SO could have taken her to a daycare center and let BM pick her up there. It's on us to find someone to care for SD until 5pm Monday--and it's on BM to do that on her weeks. Smile

And yes lately I've given SO props for his hard work and have been telling him a lot that I am proud of him. He was such a lazy parent when I met him and I know it's been REALLY hard on him to implement tons of new rules and enforce them. He's not perfect about it but I'm still very proud of him. Smile

I didn't ask SD when she got here yesterday if she had more than one shower at BM's last week. Tonight is her shower night... I may not even ask then.