You are here

Is it unfair to ask of him?

Annie's picture

I have asked my husband to not use our "household" email address for SD or BM any more. I asked him to use his own. If that means he keeps this address and I get a new one, fine. But I do not want to combine them. He was not happy about that at all. See, I am the one who checks "our" email and he gets a message when I read it basically. And I am sick of their nasty emails and even having to tell him he has one is wearing down on me. Even if I do not read it, just seeing their names makes my stomach hurt wondering what they demand now and whose to blame. So, I asked DH to please seperate them one way or another. He thinks its unfair. Now, he does not keep regular contact with SD at all. And even if she calls him on his cell, 9 times out of 10 he won't answer it. And I support that. I'm fine with that. They are nasty and have done alot to this family. But, why should I have to be the one to tell him he has an email? Why should I have to deal with it at all? Is it wrong of me to ask to not have to see thier nastiness in my inbox? Do you think I am "justified" that I did not make this child and while I married into this whole ordeal, I am not accepting the way they behave. And since I have "no say" in anything, that I can just remove myself and expect support in that??!!! Is it wrong? I just don't get where I should have to be the one to keep tabs on their nastiness or be the brunt of it year after year. This is such a small stupid thing to ask, I just don't get why he thinks it's wrong of me to ask him of this. Heck, if he doesn't even answer HIS cell phone, why should I have to deal with them through our email? Right???

loonybonusmom's picture

at xmas2006....automatically signed on with a "family" site. Then family life set in..what you are experienceing. Made things difficult right away dealing with the happy and the ???crap. My advice.....get your own. That is what I did...assumed the names, addresses, etc...those who care will understand and "accept" your new mailing address as is, re: you dh getting his own...my theory was....(besides the fact he is terrible with these machines!) he deals with enough crap....get your own peace of space. The beauty of the net...you can go it alone with only the ones you love knowing who you are.

You can complain that roses have thorns, but you should be thankful those thorns have roses"
loony

Anne 8102's picture

We use Outlook Express to check email, but you can do this with just about any email application. Create a separate folder in your inbox with DH's name on it just for these messages. Then set up a filter that will automatically take these messages out of your inbox and put them in that folder. This way, you don't have to see them, unless you look in his folder, and it becomes HIS job to check HIS folder to see if HE has any emails in there which require HIS attention. If you do this, then you both sort of "win" the argument, because you don't have to see the emails and he doesn't have to set up a separate account.

We did the above and it helped both of us, because moving these messages to a different folder automatically without us having to see them in our inbox relieved a lot of stress. When we were ready to deal with BM, then we would look in the folder and read/reply to her emails, but we didn't have to be bombarded with them throughout the day. This helped us pick and choose when to be contacted by her and sometimes having that little bit of control helps.

~ Anne ~

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

OldTimer's picture

I like it!

Wink StepMom

Man has the intelligence to change his life,
Sometimes, he just fails to use it...

Mocha2001's picture

I agree with Anne ... I'm not sure if you can set up a rule with other email programs, but I know you can on Outlook and Outlook Express. If you don't use those you can easily have your ISP help you set up Outlook or Outlook Express as a POP3 to your regular email ... in other words, a copy of your email will go into Outlook, and still remain on your ISP's server - depending on how you set it up. The you create the rule so that anything from them goes into the "ICK" (I love that) folder. Think I might do that too ... I don't mind reading the emails, yes I get steamed, but ... I like the idea of the "ICK" folder. =0)

~ Katrina

Krissy's picture

I would suggest to him that he simply register for a Hotmail or Yahoo account. GMail too. They're all free and you don't have to worry about setting up subfolders or dealing with your ISP. And DH can still use your family email for everything else...just not for dealing with HER. Hell, you can even set it up for him and give him the user/password info so that he doesn't have to do much. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. I wouldn't want to deal with BB's nonsense in my own mailbox on a regular basis myself.

Good luck!

OldTimer's picture

Options, options, options!!!

Wink StepMom

Man has the intelligence to change his life,
Sometimes, he just fails to use it...

Angel's picture

I am not my husband's secretary & he better not dare assume I am. This should be determined "before" the marriage & reinforced on an "if needed" basis.

Annie's picture

I set him up an account with the same password as "our" account so he won't forget it. He doesn't want to email it to her until she emails again because he doesn't want to initiate any extra email from her then nessacary. I really hate to admit it, but just seeing her name on my addresses ticks me off. We've had it rough with her and her nastiness and I just want to not have to deal with her at this point at all! Or at least not until we have to. So an everyday recollection is not needed.

Imustbcrazy's picture

I answer it. She knows it is family email so whoever picks it up- answers... she doesn't like my answers, so she stopped emailing him altogether. It worked out nicely. He blocked her from his personal email. He doesn't want to deal with her anymore than I do... so we make it as difficult as possible. He won't answer his phone when she calls. She can leave a message and he will decide if he needs to call back. 90% of the time he doesn't. She used to call 60+ times a month. That is twice a day on average. I don't know about y'all, but I can't think of ANYTHING that I would have to say to my ex-husband twice a day... everyday. She got the hint and stopped. Now she rarely calls him and tries to call me, I don't answer either. : )

Daddys Gurl-

Life is as sweet as you sweeten it.

Run 4 the hills's picture

I don't think its out of order to reply to each email:

'F off and get a life. Goodbye'

Or is that just childish? }:)

Mocha2001's picture

Like you, I write all of our responses, because I type 20 times faster than DH, and my grammar is much better. He'll read them, so technically he approves them before they are sent, but ... they ALWAYS have his signature on them ... not mine ... so she can't really bitch about it. When she does, DH just says, if it came from my email address, and has my name on it, it came from me, regardless of who typed it. The response contains my thoughts on the matter, and that is how it should be taken ...

~ Katrina