You are here

BF moved in 10 mths ago and most days now he been nit picking negative comments towards my BD

Minnie16's picture

BF moved in 10 mths ago he lovely chilled relax guy though recently he been daily nick picking faults at my daughter mainly to me but my BD picking up on it and asking what she done wrong to upset him as he always moaning! 
yet he never tells his own D off when she rude or won't eat dinner as she so picky with her food! Which then makes it harder with my own BD who will eat her dinner. I'm nervous to bring up any complaints to him as he just comes back with comments like maybe best I move out and we break up etc with any minor complaints! Yet over all both our girls I would say are pretty much well behaved model children overall. Worried if I don't say anything this may fester and will break down our relationship, yet nervous with his comment of leaving, other than this he lovely guy, helpful around house, just quiet kind off guy who not a lover of any drama compare to my ex husband he lovely, just the comments above makes me insecure , how to tackle this matter. 

Winterglow's picture

"Maybe I should move out"

"Yes, maybe you should."

He's just trying to guilt you into staying quiet. Don't stand for it. Next time, call his bluff.

failuretolaunch's picture

Any guy who threatens to break up with you or have you moved out over any small dispute is not the kind of guy you need in your life.

This. So if you try to address any issues, this is going to be his go to response.

Next time he says that say 'Well, if you are going to say that everytime I bring up some concerns and won't discuss them like an adult, then yes, maybe you should move out.'

You're needs and feelings will slowly be dismissed over time because eventually you won't even want to bring them up. It's just another deflection tactic like when you come to someone with a concern, the next thing it is turned around and you are discussing the problems that person has with you or what you've said or done.

Don't stand for it. It might not seem like it now, but it might be better that he leaves if you can't talk about things.

TheAccidentalSM's picture

I agree with the other posters.  They are all right.  Call his bluff and get him to move out.  He's using this threat to manage you.

Think about it this way:  you wouldn't stay at a job if they threatened you with termination everytime there was a little stress.  Why would you accept less in your personal relationship?

IDontCare3117's picture

I see it from a different angle.  He wants to break up, but doesn't want to be the bad guy.  He makes the threat hoping you will call his bluff, and kick him out.

I don't see that at all. I don't know the financial situation but the ba$tard can move it. I imagine he's got it quite easy,

Maybe, just maybe the OP isn't financially independent so she has to put up with his crap, I don't know.

Either way, him doing this is not okay and if the OP has the upper hand, she should call his bluff. Don't say anything unless you actually mean it.

justmakingthebest's picture

Call his bluff. 

That is emotional blackmail and Gaslighting. Next time he is being a d**k, call him on it. If he says "maybe its best if I move out" - say 'Yep, I agree. My job is to have a home where my daughter feels safe and loved. You don't get to take that from her. You don't get to have special rules for your little snowflake and treat my kid like crap."

Yip.

The OP should say that and if an adult conversation can be had then they should talk about it, but in no way should she put up with any crap if he can't see the same crap that his child does. It's not fair. Yes, other peoples kids can be annoying, but unless you are willing to address the problem that each others' kids have and deal with them together and listen, then F right off. Nobody is perfect, especially children and we all need to take constructive criticism. Something I find lacking with my partner. She can't see she makes excuses after excuses for them. To her, it's I don't like her kids.I struggle with them, but it's not that I don't like them, I just want her to sort them out, so they don't take the piss out of her, which she also can't see!!!

Aniki-Moderator's picture

He may be an improvement over your exH, but he is definitely NOT "a lovely guy". As mentioned above, he's a bad parent and an emotional blackmailer.

And he most certainly IS a lover of drama. "...maybe best I move out and we break up etc..."

There is no maybe. He SHOULD move out. I feel sorry for your daughter. His behavior is causing her unneccessary anxiety. You are showing her that a bad man is better than no man. 

You can hire someone to help you around the house. This guy isn't worh it.

Rags's picture

Quit tolerating his bullshit threats to move out and break up.

"If you don't figure out your issues with my daughter who makes your daughter look like a picky drama queen don't waste your breath with the threats to leave and don't let the door hit you or your kid in the ass on your way out of our lives."

Why tolerate this immature idiot and his bullshit middle school games?

LittleCloud9's picture

In a relationship you have to be able to talk about problems or even argue without the other person threatening to leave. 
Too many people use the phrase "I don't like drama" as an excuse to avoid talking about problems (or their bad behavior)

Its true you should try to talk about problems in a constructive manner but if you can't have an argument with your SO, that's a really weak relationship. There's bigger problems here than nitpicking.

hereiam's picture

Let him move out.

Neither you, nor your daughter deserve this treatment.

lookingforwardstep's picture

How long have you known your bf? How long were you together before he moved in? I think it is always best to wait a very, very long time before moving anyone in with your kids. Anyone who wants to do so quickly probably has some issues (unstable, nothing to lose, psychological problems, etc). Most people who have their life together don't want to jump into moving in with someone who has children and will wait it out until most of the issues are sorted which takes time.

Minnie16's picture

We been together 3 yrs in August he moved in last September so def did t rush this matterr. I've always worked 35 hrs a wk so definitely not financially dependent on him.

I did bring this matter up, he said he didn't want to witnesses my D taking me like crap at times! And said he didn't think he was moaning that much, and did apologise, we also discussed his daughter pickiness and he just don't know how to approach this, as his daughter mum cooks differently to what we do.

move also brought the subject about the threat moving out! Again had a apology and told he didn't want me have the stress. I finally had confidence to say well of you feel that what you want I won't stop you, just not having the empty threats!! Who knows how this would go, but I def say he a quite insecure kinda of guy! 
ive spoken to my 13yr old daughter who says he nice guy but can be miserable at times! Generally on the whole they get on well, this just seem to be happening a bit more off late really. 

I don't want to throw this relationship away when most of the time it's good except how to deal with this when it happens!  

hereiam's picture

You don't necessarily have to throw the relationship away but not all couples, who each have kids, can or should live together.

You have tried living together, if it's not working and it's not in everybody's best interest, there is nothing wrong with going back to living separately.