You are here

Am I making a bigger deal out of this than necessary

Heathergreener12's picture

Like a lot of Colonial type homes we have two living rooms. DH has one that's his man cave that he's Furnished and decorated and  I have another one that I Furnished and decorated. Now I have a bigger tv( my choice) and I agreed to let SS14 use my tv so he can play video games. This is to my benefit as it keeps him Occupied the reason I agreed. 

Now I informed DH that SS can only hang out in "my living room" if he wants to play video games. Well here is why I'm pissed off. Last Night SS14 right in front of me to DH that he wants to do his school work in this living room and DH was like fine. Well after SS14 left I told DH I did NOT want SS just hanging out in my room sitting on my couch. Why? Because number one he is a total pig with eating drinking whatever. Spills things and refuses to wipe his hands before touching anything. Then adds he loves to pick his nose and wipe it on things. Gross my nice leather couch! Not to mention SS jumps and runs and Plays with are huge dog and has broken things. 

So how would you handle this? Just let it go and be thankful he does not live with us full time? DH is pissed off with me for requesting SS stay out of the room unless he's playing video games. 

tog redux's picture

It does seem a little odd that he's allowed in for one thing, but not the other. Doesn't he pick his nose and eat when he's playing games, too?  Seems to me you wouldn't want him in there at all (though it's also a bit weird to entirely ban a kid from a living room area period).

Heathergreener12's picture

Yes he does pick his nose when playing video games BUT he sits on his gaming chair NOT my furniture so since it's SS14 chair I don't care.

Now I really don't want SS in the room anyways BUT it's the least of the two evils. If I banned SS from my living room he would proceed to want "daddy's attention" 24/7 and I can forget even seeing DH when SS is over. This is a kid who will sit outside the bathroom when DH is using it. If SS is not glued to DH then he will be running through my house like a Banshee. Not to say he does not do any of these things now but at least when he's glued to the tv I get some peace

tog redux's picture

So can he sit in his gaming chair and do his homework? Seems like a reasonable consequences for not following rules for eating and wiping his hands on the sofa.

Cover1W's picture

If you don't want to give a hard "no" - and you should!  Why can't he do his homework at the kitchen table or in his room. He shoud be in a place that facilitates work and not comfort and fun.....

Anyway if you cannot say no, then buy plasic furniture covers and floor covers. This is your only other option. Thinks will be spilled and ruined, guaranteed.

ESMOD's picture

I think that there needs to be a big tv in dad's living room.  That needs to be where his son is parked.  It doesn't have to be YOUR tv... but I do think it would head off issues to have one in there too.. the money would be peace of mind well spent.

notarelative's picture

SS should be doing his homework at a desk or table, not sitting on the couch. He needs a desk in his room. 

Rags's picture

It is also NOT rocket science.

During homework time SS was in his study doing his homework. No screens, no telephone, just a boy, a desk, a chair, his school books and his homework.

If he came out of his study to use the toilet or ask a questions, we turned off the TV.  That used to drive him nuts.  However, as soon as he would see a screen he would go into screen zombie mode and just stand there with his eyes glazed over staring slack jawed at the TV.  CLICK.... end of problem.

caninelover's picture

Agree with everyone, he should do his homework at a proper table/desk and chair.  Preferably in his room or the kitchen table.  Not in front of the TV, even if its off.